Food gas emissions from production of those foods greatly.

Food waste
is an inevitable outcome of human consumption in modern society. Home food
waste results from preparation of meals and plate waste. Pre-consumer food
waste, food wasted in its production, harvest, processing and storage, along
with post-consumer waste resulting from over preparation of meals and partial
consumption contributes to a total of 31% or 66 million tons of food wasted in
2010, of this food waste, only 3 % was composted while the other 97% went to a
landfill resulting in 23% of methane emissions in the U.S., which has a global
warming potential 25 times more powerful as carbon dioxide (Gunders,
2012).

 

The amount
of food loss produced on a daily basis requires a management plan that will
mitigate the environmental impact from disposal of the waste in landfills.

We Will Write a Custom Essay Specifically
For You For Only $13.90/page!


order now

While the means of disposal in many municipalities calls for waste to be sent
it to a nearby landfill, this practice has been found to shorten the life of
landfills and lead to the production of potent greenhouse gases such as methane
and carbon dioxide. The more organic waste in the landfill, the more GHGs will
be produced. Waste age, oxygen, moisture, and temperature also influence gas
production.

 

The volume of the food that we produce
greatly outweighs the food that we consume resulting in large amounts of food
going to waste. If we are able to lower the production of food materials to
align better with our consumption rates we would be able to reduce total
greenhouse gas emissions from production of those foods greatly. We can also
look to smarter practices in production, processing, transportation, and
consumption of food that would lead to a reduction in volume of food wasted (Allen, Cancel and Orduna, 2015).

 

Composting has been called both an art and a
science. This is due to the complicated factors involved in the composting
process that determine the time the process requires, the amount of GHGs
generated, and the quality of the finished compost product. A general
definition of composting is the biological decomposition of organic material
into humus, the most basic compound of soil. Composting can be used as the
controlled decomposition of organic material.

 

Decomposition occurs by microorganisms that
secrete hydrolytic enzymes that break down organic material and produce heat. 40
different species of bacteria can be present in a compost pile including
aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, along with fungi and insects (MacCready
et al., 2013). The ideal composting process differs from
the decomposition that takes place in landfills due to the presence of oxygen
which makes the process aerobic and therefore methane is minimally produced.

There is a possibility of methane production in composting, though, which
largely depends on the method used. In general, methane production is reduced
if aerobic conditions in the pail are maintained. There are many ways to
encourage food retailers to move towards a sustainable food waste management
system. While the need to preserve landfill, space is one aspect of the need to
do so, highlighting the benefits of composting food waste may be the most
effective means to drive the change. There are many uses of compost in a
variety of sectors. This added value of compost could potentially provide a revenue stream from food waste management
which is typically a cost.